UNKNOWN Buy Ticket Event Website
Combining a closed-road sportive alongside a UCI sanctioned professional race, Velothon Wales brings a huge weekend of cycling to Cardiff for a third year.
In July 2017, up to 18,000 riders are expected to tackle the third edition of a closed road cycling sportive that takes in some of Wales’ most breathtaking scenery. The 2017 event has both a 110km distance and a 140km route, both on closed roads.
Registration for the 2017 Velothon Wales is now available here. 18,000 places will be available.
Taking place after the sportive, the UCI-sanctioned 1.1 professional road race last year attracted some of the world’s best teams and riders. Watching the pro’s fly into Cardiff city centre and across the finish line is guaranteed to provide a dramatic climax to a truly memorable day of cycling.
ABOUT THE UCI VELOTHON MAJORS SERIES:
Velothon Wales is the latest event in the global UCI Velothon Majors series – an international cycling series with events taking place in the most iconic cities around the world. All events are delivered to the highest possible organisational standards and welcome some of the world’s top teams and riders as part of the UCI sanctioned professional cycling race.
Wales has been selected as a host city for a Velothon Majors Series event as a result of the surge in popularity the sport of cycling has witnessed over the last few years, as well as the provision for two truly stunning routes. We believe that this event will firmly cement Wales as one of the world‘s leading cycling nations, with participation figures expected to lay claim to this fact.
For an idea of what to expect, check out Velothon Berlin, another Velothon Majors Event, which welcomed 13,000 riders and a whole host of top pro teams earlier this year.
KEY VELOTHON WALES FACTS:
- Up to 18,000 riders
- 140km route with shorter 110km option
- Both routes on completely closed roads, ensuring a safe cycling experience
- Top level professional race featuring some of the world’s most famous teams and riders
- Iconic city centre start and finish
- King of the Mountains challenge at the legendary Tumble climb in the Brecon Beacons
- Team Challenge for teams with 5 or more team members
- Multiple feed stations & mechanical support along the route
- Cycling festival with expo that will welcome the biggest brands with all the latest gear
- Kids Velothon for children
- Thousands of spectators lining the iconic route
In 2016 two of Sportive.com's team rode the sportive and wrote up their rides: