UNKNOWN Buy Ticket Event Website
***THE ORGANISERS HAVE ANNOUNCED THAT VELOTHON WALES WILL NOT TAKE PLACE IN 2019 AND BEYOND.***
Combining a closed-road sportive alongside a UCI sanctioned professional race, Velothon Wales brings a huge weekend of cycling to Cardiff for a fourth year.
2019 will see up to 18,000 riders tackle the fourth edition of a closed road cycling sportive that takes in some of Wales’ most breathtaking scenery. Now under new management, this year's Velothon Wales will feature a choice of three distances with the familiar 140km route joined by a shorter 125km option that leaves out the climb of the Tumble, and a 60km option that starts in Usk then follows the 125km route back to the event finish in Cardiff.
Taking place after the sportive, the UCI-sanctioned 1.1 professional road race last year attracted some of the world’s best teams and riders. Watching the pro’s fly into Cardiff city centre and across the finish line is guaranteed to provide a dramatic climax to a truly memorable day of cycling.
ABOUT THE UCI VELOTHON MAJORS SERIES:
Velothon Wales is the latest event in the global UCI Velothon Majors series – an international cycling series with events taking place in the most iconic cities around the world. All events are delivered to the highest possible organisational standards and welcome some of the world’s top teams and riders as part of the UCI sanctioned professional cycling race.
Wales has been selected as a host city for a Velothon Majors Series event as a result of the surge in popularity the sport of cycling has witnessed over the last few years, as well as the provision for two truly stunning routes. We believe that this event will firmly cement Wales as one of the world‘s leading cycling nations, with participation figures expected to lay claim to this fact.
For an idea of what to expect, check out Velothon Berlin, another Velothon Majors Event, which welcomed 13,000 riders and a whole host of top pro teams earlier this year.
KEY VELOTHON WALES FACTS:
- Up to 18,000 riders
- 140km route with shorter 110km option
- Both routes on completely closed roads, ensuring a safe cycling experience
- Top level professional race featuring some of the world’s most famous teams and riders
- Iconic city centre start and finish
- King of the Mountains challenge at the legendary Tumble climb in the Brecon Beacons
- Team Challenge for teams with 5 or more team members
- Multiple feed stations & mechanical support along the route
- Cycling festival with expo that will welcome the biggest brands with all the latest gear
- Kids Velothon for children
- Thousands of spectators lining the iconic route
Check out our Velothon Wales related content:
Event date is subject to change