The Ronde van Vlaanderen (or Tour of Flanders for English speakers) is one of the most famous Spring Classics and the day before the pro riders contest it the organisers let the amateurs contest it.
If you are thinking of riding the Vlaanderens mooiste ("Flanders’ finest") then you better be prepared for some serious cobblestone riding. For those doing the same route as the pros, it is 240km of extremely hard riding with some brutal climbs.
Although the 2013 route has not yet been announced the following sections are likely to be encountered:
- Kluisberg: Buissestraat, Bergstraat, Kluisbergen-Ruien. Climbs 66m from 27m to 93m. Maximum 11 per cent.
- Molenberg: Molenberg, Zwalm. Climbs 32m from 24m to 56m. Maximum 17 per cent.
- Oude Kwaremont: Broekstraat, Kwaremontplein, Schilderstraat, Kluisbergen. Climbs 93m from 18m to 111m. Maximum 11 per cent.
- Koppenberg: Steengat, Koppenberg, Oudenaarde-Melden. Climbs 64m from 13m to 77m; Maximum 25 per cent at inside of bend, otherwise 22 per cent.
- Taaienberg: Taaienberg, Maarkedal-Etikhove. Climbs 45m from 37m to 82m. Maximum 18 per cent.
- Berg ter Stene: Stene, Horebeke. Climbs 68m from 32m to 100m. Maximum 9 per cent.
- Leberg: Leberg, Brakel-Zegelsem. Climbs 39m from 60m to 9m. Maximum 15 per cent.
- Berendries: Berendries, Brakel-Sint-Maria-Oudenhove. Climbs 65m from 33m to 98m. Maximum 14 per cent.
- Valkenberg: Valkenbergstraat, Brakel-Nederbrakel. Climbs 53m from 45m to 98m. Maximum 15 per cent.
- Muur-Kapelmuur: Abdijstraat, Ouderbergstraat, Oudeberg, Gerardsbergen. Climbs 77m from 33m to 110m. Maximum 20 per cent.
- Bosberg: Kapellestraat, Geraardsbergen-Moerbeke. Climbs 40m from 65m to 105m. Maximum 11 per cent.
- Tenbosse: Olifantstraat, Brakel. Climbs 28m from 45m to 73m. Maximum 14 per cent.
In 2013, for the first time public authorities have restricted the total number of entries to 16,000. This is for safety reasons so expect this sportive to sell out.
At a Glance
- 30 Mar 2013 7:00am
- Ticket Status Unknown
- Tour of Flanders SportiveTour of Flanders SportiveBruges, Belgium
- Up to 240 km (149 miles)
- From 25.00 EUR
- 16 Riders
Buy Ticket Event Website
Anyone caught peeing in public (ie not using the portaloos provided) will be stopped from taking part and have their race number and timing chip confiscated!